Soroptimist is a global volunteer organization working to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment.
Soroptimist International of San Francisco is the second oldest club in the world, chartered March 6, 1922. We have been improving the lives of women and girls in San Francisco for over 95 years.
Soroptimist means “best for women” and that’s what we strive to be—an organization of women at their best helping other women to be their best. As a volunteer organization of women we feel uniquely qualified to help women and girls live their dreams.
Throughout history and still to this day, women throughout the world face obstacles solely because of their gender. They disproportionately suffer from poverty and discrimination. It’s for this reason that Soroptimist, an organization of and by women, chooses to focus on the special challenges facing women and girls.
In order to accomplish this goal, the organization administers several programs. The organization’s major project is the Soroptimist LIVE YOUR DREAM EDUCATION AND TRAINING AWARD (formerly the Women’s Opportunity Awards), which assist women by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills and job prospects.
Other Soroptimist programs include:
- Dream It, Be It- Career Support for Girls, a mentoring program that targets girls in secondary school (high school) who face obstacles to their future success. It provides girls with access to professional role models, career education and the resources to live their dreams.
- Soroptimist Ruby Award: For Women Helping Women (formerly the Soroptimist Making a Difference for Award), a recognition program for women who help other women and girls.
- Soroptimist Live Your Dream Campaign, Powered by Soroptimist, the LiveYourDream.org online community offers an alternative way to deliver our mission; strengthen and grow the Soroptimist brand; and increase resources to improve the lives of women and girls. Each volunteer decides their involvement level and how they’d like to engage or take action in a number of Soroptimist’s award-winning programs, which includes spreading awareness about causes such as access to education (Live Your Dream Award), empowering girls (Dream It, Be It), and ending violence against women (teen dating violence, domestic violence and trafficking).
- Soroptimists STOP Trafficking, a project that raises awareness about the sex trafficking of women and girls, and seeks to encourage citizens, law-makers and service providers to focus on this global problem.
- Soroptimist Workplace Campaign to End Domestic Violence, an awareness campaign that targets domestic violence as a workplace concern.
There are almost 95,000 Soroptimists in close to 120 countries and territories which contribute their time and financial support to community-based and international projects that benefit both women and girls.
Soroptimist International of San Francisco meets on the second Tuesday of the month at Delancey Street Restaurant at 6:00 pm for dinner, where we feature interesting speakers every other month on cutting edge topics about women and girls.
The cost of dinner is $45.00 and wine is an additional $8.00. Please join us for dinner and bring your friends. Valet Parking is $4.00 flat, even on game days.